Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The first reunion.

It is the day to move into my apartment in Heritage halls. Sister Murphy takes me shopping to get things like a laundry basket (that we still use), iron (don't really use), hangers, clock and other things.
Then I had my first slap on the face at a grocery store. Back at home the cheapest things are fruits and veggies, so I went and loaded up on those. Not that I was the healthiest eater in the planet but that is what I used to eat, plus there were a lot of interesting things in the isles; like pasta and SAUCE in a box, beans in a can!, juice in cans and frozen!! Anyway, as I'm picking my food, Emily tells me to get a box of chicken nuggets and milk. Then I go to pay and get slapped, over $30.00!!!!!!!!!! I was in shock, I payed and mom told me she would send Than to help me more next time I needed to get groceries.

I come home, cried as mom left me at the door. She promised to send Emily Monday to help me get to class, also I was meeting Elder Ketcheson and his family later that day and I would have fun.

I unpacked in 30 minutes and then started to get ready. I was exited to see an old friend but terrified to meet his family, I didn't really know English :-(

After I don't really know how long, there was a knock on my door. I opened it, and there he was, the same guy a met over a year ago but looking so different, he had a friendly smile and was not wearing church clothes. I think he wanted a hug but I stuck my hand out immediately...old habits :-)

He said a few things and then we hopped in his Aunt Karen's car, there I met his mom, who very kindly offered another of those weird foods, pretzels. His aunt Karen was super fun and new Spanish. We drove to the Mall and met with his brother Ryan and his family. Ryan decided to call me "cuñada" and I understood then that his family might think I came for him and that Ryan was having way too much fun with the situation.

We chose a new suit for David. I felt so weird to be telling him if he looked good on something. I am not supposed to see him that way, but I did and I thought that suit made him look good... maybe a little too good.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Belky--since Cheryl and Blake haven't posted their story in a while (shame on them!), I have been going through "how we got together" story withdrawal.
Thank you so much for this. I always wondered how you and David got together. This is a great story and you are great at writing it!

Starting Over said...

Belky, I remember meeting you when you knew very little English and you have always been so sweet...regardless of what language you were speaking! I can't wait for the next installment

Jen said...

You are too too cute! Keep it coming!